Monday, July 8, 2019

Mark Meditations: Mark 2.23-28

Mark 2.23-28

* Jesus is the Son of Man
* Jesus is Lord even of the Sabbath 
* Jesus appeals to Scripture

And he said to them, "Have you never read what David
did when he was in need and he and his companions
became hungry; how he entered the house of God in the 
time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the consecrated
bread, which is not lawful for anyone to eat except
the priests, and he also gave it to those who were with him?
Mark 2.25-26

* Jesus is placing himself in the place of David and his disciples in the place of David's companions.  I can imagine as Jesus makes the statement in Mark 2.2-26--"Have you not read...?--that the Pharisees were thinking, "Of course we know that story!  But that was David--are you comparing yourself to God's anointed one, David?!"

* The Pharisees misunderstand the actions of Jesus because they misunderstand Jesus' identity.

* It's like Jesus is saying, "If you understood who I am and what I am all about, you would understand: (1) Why I eat with tax-collectors and sinners, (2) Why my disciples don't fast right now, and (3) Why I approach the Sabbath the way I do."