* Jesus is the bridegroom.
-He brings the kingdom and it is time to celebrate!* Jesus will be taken away from them.
* Jesus brings something new that reorients everything else.
* Jesus does the unexpected.
* Jesus challenges our expectations.
Scribes & Pharisees
Disciples of John & Pharisees
“Why is he eating and drinking with tax collectors and sinners?”
“Why… your disciples do not fast?”
Jesus is the…
* The presence of Jesus challenges and changes everything! Everything gets reoriented around Jesus.
* The religious exercise of fasting is contextualized by Jesus. How it is done and when and its meaning is defined by Jesus!
* Jesus is not concerned about fitting into expected patterns of behavior. He is establishing new patterns. His power brings newness. To recognize this newness in Jesus is to take up his pattern of life.