Thursday, May 6, 2021

A Poem about Ethics: "Face, not Forms, I Long to See"

 

* A poem I crafted in response to my research paper A Critique of Erik Wielenberg's Godless Normative Realism.


Face, not Forms, I Long to See

God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob--covenant cut, covenant kept.
Fire on the mountain--laws from heaven;
Not faceless Forms or dead Demiurge.
Thunder and Glory--Yahweh alive!
Face to face, yet seeing no face.

God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jesus--covenant cut, covenant kept.
Son on the mountain--blessings of the kingdom;
Not unmoved mover; but a speaking, bleeding Son.
Thunder and Glory--Jesus alive!
Seeing His face reflected; yet seeking still more.

God our Father, Jesus the Son, Spirit eternal--covenant cut, covenant kept.
Spirit in spirit--laws on my heart;
No brute facts or Plato's dead space.
Thunder and Glory--Spirit alive... in me!
Transforming, preparing for the gaze of His face.