Saturday, April 11, 2015

Like Father, Like Son in the Gospel of John

For the Father loves the Son, and shows him
all things that he himself is doing;
and the Father will show him greater works
than these, so that you will marvel.
John 5.20

There are at least three things to see in this verse:
1.  The Father loves the Son.
2.  The Father shows the Son all things that he (the Father) is doing.
3.  The Father will show the Son "greater works than these."
Later in the Gospel in the final discourse of Jesus (14-16) we see that what the Father does for the Son, the Son does for his disciples.
1.  Jesus loves his disciples.
Just as the Father has loved me, I have also loved you; abide in my love.
John 15.9
2.  Jesus shows his disciples what the Father revealed to him.
No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master
is doing, but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from
my Father I have made known to you
John 15.15
3.  Jesus assures his disciples of "greater works than these."
Truly, truly I say to you, he who believes in me, the works
that I do, he will do also, and greater works than these
he will do, because I go to the Father.
John 14.12

God is not stingy!  The Father and the Son together share love, knowledge, and power with each other and with the disciples of Christ.