* Jesus speaks in parables for a purpose.
-Parables both hide and reveal
-Disciples need Jesus to interprete the parable* Jesus teaches the crowd from a boat.
-Was this for amphlification?
-Was this for crowd control--if the crowds are mobbing him he cannot teach?* Jesus teaches about and assumes the reality of Satan and his opposition to the word.
* Enemies of the Word:
3. Lustful/worldly desires* Think of how Paul's epistles continually address these kinds of realities:
1. Satan: Eph. 6.10-18; 2 Cor. 2.11; 11.3, 11-15
2. Persecution: 2 Cor. 1.8-11; 4.7-12; 6.4-10; Phil. 1.29-30
3. Worldly desires: 2 Cor. 12.20; Gal. 5.16-21; Eph. 4.17-24